Sunday, May 18, 2008

Love from Aunt Lynda...

Ken,

May Our Lord guide your path to a joyful new life under the shadow of his wings. Thank you for spending all day putting my file cabinet together and cleaning our garage. (Remember that Glenn? Couldn’t find a thing and had to do it over.) Thank you for the beautiful ways you touched our lives and made them richer. In addition to all that Buzz has recalled, I found you to be a gifted writer. Your quick wit and great sense of humor is revealed, I think, in the following little piece of your trip to Germany and Austria in 2000:

I hurried to the Sixth rental car counter at Frankfort’s Rhein Main airport. Would they have the Mercedes? Cool! They did. But boy did my enthusiasm die when I got to the car. At first I thought they sent me to the wrong stall, or some other car was parked there by mistake. It didn’t look like any Mercedes I had ever seen. It was A-Klasse, which meant no class. It looked like a Suzuki with a Mercedes hood ornament. It was a short, stubby, high little vehicle, which you would never suspect was a Mercedes. The interior didn’t have a hint of leather or wood. I started back to the counter to see if I could upgrade to the VW or the Opel, but thought, what the heck, it’s only for a couple of days. As I drove out of the parking garage, I came to a ticket machine and figured I had gone the wrong way. I wanted out, not in. But as I turned around, there were six cars already lined up behind me. Stress! My arms involuntarily flew up. A large dark-haired guy with a leather jacket got briskly out of his car, rushed to the machine, pushed the button, handed me the ticket, and got back in his car without saying a word. It all seemed awfully foreign to me. I drove ahead, and right around the corner was a tollbooth. I handed the lady the ticket, she raised the bar, and I escaped…. I realized I over analyze a lot.

Thanks, Ken for your beautiful mind and laughing heart.

Love,
Aunt Lynda

No comments: