Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memories of Kenny Mitchell

I have known Kenny Mitchell for over 25 years. He was my brother, Mike’s best friend. I was heartbroken to hear the new of his passing.

There are so many memories I have of Kenny Mitchell. Many Mike shared with me and many I experienced myself. For awhile Mike and I were renting an apartment in Fullerton and on many occasions Kenny would visit. We always knew when he was walking up the stairs because he was singing, rather loudly, “Poncho & Lefty” or “The Highwayman”. Of course on special occasions he would sing Harry Chapin’s, “Taxi”. It didn’t matter if Kenny was good at singing or anything else he loved to do; he would do it with all his heart.

Kenny Mitchell (I always referred to him using both names) touched many people. He had a quiet strength. He also had an exploding personality when you hit a nerve, which I found out quite accidentally. Mike, Kenny and I went to lunch one time. I asked him quite innocently what the difference between buying and leasing a car was. Immediately he looked down and grabbed his head with his hands as if to keep it from exploding. He then went into a tirade about leasing a car. “Don’t ever lease a car.” I don’t remember the exact words, but that was the jest of his ranting. I was in shock; I didn’t expect this reaction from a simple question. My brother just smiled. It took Kenny a while to settle down from this and then he was fine. I do have point out that I have never even considered leasing a car. They offer leasing as a perk where I work, but I hesitate for all I hear are Kenny Mitchell’s words pounding in my head.

Mike and Kenny have been friends for over 30 years. Not a week went by that they didn’t speak or see each other. I know the sadness my brother is feeling. They shared so much together traveled so many places together.

I remember I picked them up at the airport from a trip they took to Europe. They got in the car and began bickering. They were complaining to me about what the other person had done while on the trip, the annoying idiosyncrasies that eventually got on each other’s nerves. Mike turned toward me and said don’t ever let this guy tell you about the money. All he kept doing was asking me and how much is this coin and do you know how much this is? Kenny would chime in I was trying to teach you about the money. Mike would quip back something like I was on vacation. I laughed the whole ride home listening to them bicker back and forth. The next morning Mike was leaving, I ask him where he was going. He tells me he is on his way to meet Kenny for breakfast. I have to admit I was dumbfounded. I told him I thought you guys were sick of each other. Mike said naw, that’s just how we are. It’s Kenny.


Their friendship withstood the test of time and I know Mike will miss him for the rest of his life.

Although, I didn’t see Kenny Mitchell much these last few years, rarely did a conversation with Mike go by that his name was not mentioned. I would ask Mike to ask Kenny tax question on occasion too. The last time I saw Kenny was a few months back at dinner with Mike and our niece Natalie at Hero’s. There was nothing momentous about that dinner, but I will treasure it always.

My prayers go out to his family and friends. I borrow a line from Harry Potter, “the one’s that love us never really leave us; they remain always in our hearts.”

Peace to you Kenny Mitchell, who died the way you lived, loving life. “God go with you.”

No comments: