Sunday, May 18, 2008

Notes from Uncle Buzzy...


Lynda and I were so sorry to hear the news from Boliva about Kenny’s sudden death. He was so special to us. I was planning to fly to California with Steve in early June, but when the memorial was changed to a later date, that put us too close to our long trip to Europe. I will truly miss being there with all of you, but will keep you all in my heart and prayers.

One of my first thoughts was that it shouldn’t be this way, uncles and aunts surviving nephews. I have many fond memories of Ken. Born in 1951, he was the child most resembling my sister, Helen. He also inherited her fine intellect. I got to know Kenny a little better in 1958, some time before his seventh birthday, I think. I believe that it was one of those times he was living with Grandma in Slovan, PA. I had been discharged from the army on August 6, and enjoyed two weeks at home before reporting as freshman football coach to practice at Loyola of Baltimore.

At that age Kenny was always under foot, so we shared a few Pirate games in Pittsburgh. I remember vividly one particular trip. We went through the wrong tunnel on 79 on our way home. Ken said, “Uncle Buzz, I think we were supposed to turn at that sign just before the tunnel.” I turned around, discovered that the landmark was the correct one, and returned home safely. I said to myself, Here is a seven-year-old showing me the way. I knew then that this kid was something special.

Over the years I have regretted that distance has prevented our not seeing more of Ken. We are thankful now that he made trips East to our children’s weddings and visited us as part of his returns to see friends. I remember fondly the battles we had on the tennis court and the wonderful trips home to Slovan. We were looking forward to Ken’s visit this August and to the ”Ken-Buzzy Tennis Challenge.” We loved Ken’s phone calls, which were always filled with laughter, wit, and kindness. Just before his trip to Bolivia he called to give me some sound advice on tax issues.

Ken, we’re going to miss your jovial personality, and your Christmas notes and cards. You were one of the few guys who would even laugh at my bad jokes. Of the sixteen nephews and nieces I’m blessed to have, I would have to rank you, Ken with the best of them.

Love, Buzz

No comments: