Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A wonderful email from a woman that was part of Ken's bike tour that day...


Unfotunately I can offer little information as I only met Ken on the day, but here is my rememberance of what moments I did share in his company.

Our day started early at 7am and when a role call of names was read out, Ken wondered whether his name had been misread as Ben. When the guide asked him where he came from (to clarify things) Ken replied and became known as 'Ken the American'. It was funny at the time and revealed Ken's sense of fun. This was further reinforced by the fact that he was by far the oldest adventurer that day.

I don't profess to knowing Ken at all well, but I did have the opportunity of chatting with him on several occasions. I too was travelling alone and whilst sharing my choccie bar with Ken (which he very kindly helped me out with!), he chatted about his relatively short trip and his plan to get to Nasca. I asked him how he was finding the day and his face broke into a big smile... although I'm not sure he was such a fan of the couple of uphill bits!!! Ken seemed to enjoy the thrill of the day, on the safer tarmac road at the start of the ride he was giving the younger guys in the group a run for their money!

From an all too brief meeting with Ken his adventurous, fun-loving and friendly nature was evident. The accident was such a shock to all of us in the group and so very sudden. I extend my sympathies once again to you and the rest of his family and friends.

I would also mention just how fast, professional and determined the guides that day were to try and rescue Ken. And it is little consolation, but the area surrounding that road is truly one of the most beautiful and stunning places I have ever experienced.

May Ken rest in peace.

No comments: